If you’re looking to arrange furniture in your rectangular living room in a way that works well for everyone, there are a few tips to keep in mind. Start by creating an outline of the space, then use that as a guideline when selecting pieces. Try to group items together by function or style, and make sure everything fits comfortably within the boundaries of the room. This guide is How To Arrange Furniture In Rectangular Living Room
What is a rectangular living room?
A rectangular living room can be a great way to organize your space and create a cohesive look. It is also popular for smaller spaces because it takes up less floor space than other layout options. This type of room is perfect for couples who want plenty of privacy, or families with children who need more space to play. Some things to keep in mind when designing a rectangular living room include using continuous walls and floors, grouping furniture together by function (TV stand with shelves, bedroom set near the front door), and avoiding large pieces that dominate the space.
Tips for Putting Together a Rectangular Room with Fewer Apartment
Some tips for putting together a rectangular living room with few apartment-style walls:
- Consider the layout of your furniture and choose pieces that will flow easily from one end of the room to the other. This will help to create a cohesive look in your space.
- Make use of large windows and doorways to bring in natural light and create an airy feel.
- Try grouping your furniture by function, such as placing a TV stand along one wall and groupings of chairs, sofas, and tables around the other three walls. This will help take up less space and give your room a more spacious feeling.
- Use art or accessories to add personality to your space, whether it’s hanging pendants or large floor mats that double as slipcovers at night.
Place bulky items at the center of the room
With the living room being such a focal point of the home, it’s important to make sure your furniture is arranged in a way that looks good and makes the space feel comfortable. One way to do this is by placing bulky items at the center of the room. This will help to balance out the other pieces of furniture and create a more cohesive look.
Use focal points to tie together different parts of the room
When arranging furniture in a rectangular living room, it is important to find focal points that will tie the different areas of the room together. One way to do this is to position furniture around the perimeter of the room, and then use accessories and decor to fill in the gaps. For example, if there are few pieces of furniture positioned close to one another, use a credenza as a focal point for grouping items together. Alternatively, if there are many pieces of furniture clustered together, try placing accent tables in strategic locations so that they draw attention away from the center of the room. How To Arrange Furniture In Rectangular Living Room
Use floor-to-ceiling windows or doors to brighten up the space
Living rooms can often feel quite small, especially if the furniture is arranged in a rectangular or square shape. To make the space feel more spacious, try arranging your furniture in floor-to-ceiling windows or doors. This will allow plenty of natural light to flood into the room and brighten it up considerably. Additionally, it will create an air of openness and invitingness that will be sure to put you at ease.
Consider using accessories like ottomans
If you want to keep your living room looking neat and tidy, consider arranging furniture in a rectangular shape. This will help to minimize the amount of space that is unused, which can be great if you have a smaller home or if you simply want to create more open space within the room. Plus, it will make it easier to move around furniture when necessary.
When choosing which pieces of furniture to place in a rectangular living room, think about things like placement of windows and doors. Try not to put too many large pieces of furniture in one corner or another; instead, try grouping them together based on their size and function. For example, placing a sofa near the window might make it easier for guests to take in the view while sitting down. Conversely, placing a TV stand in one corner might be less inviting since it’s difficult to see from close up.
A living room should be comfortable, with ample space to move around and relax. When arranging furniture in a rectangular room, use lamps to create a cozy atmosphere. Here are three tips for setting up your living room with lamps:
- Choose a lamp that complements the colors of your furniture. For example, if you have blue seating and blue walls, go for a light blue lamp.
- Place lamps on either side of the sofa or chair to create an even light distribution. This will help make the furniture more visible and less dark.
- Choose lamps with baseboards that are at least 18 inches wide so that they can be placed low enough to avoid casting shadows on the floor.
Use Mirrors and Accent Pieces to Fill In the Gaps
Looking for ways to fill in the gaps in your rectangular living room? You can use mirrors and accent pieces to create a more cohesive look. For example, place a large mirror near one end of the room to create a focal point. Add antiques or eclectic pieces to break up the space and add character.
Arrange the furniture so that each section has a purpose
Many people arrange furniture in a rectangular living room in order to make the most of the space. However, this layout can be limiting and it doesn’t always take advantage of the room’s features. If you want to arrange your furniture in a way that makes the most of your living room’s abilities, consider these tips.
- Start by figuring out what type of environment you’re aiming for. If you want a casual vibe, put more comfortable items near the windows. If you want a more formal atmosphere, put more formal furniture closer to the front door or other focal points.
- Pay attention to how each area of your living room is used. For example, if you have a large TV stand in one corner, place seating around it instead of putting all the furniture in one spot near the wall.
Use walls and accessories to divide the room into segments
Adding walls and accessories to rectangles can help divide the room into segments. By breaking up the space, a living room can feel more manageable. Accentuate one side with bold colors and light fixtures, while keeping the other side more subdued for a more relaxed ambiance. Here are some ideas to get you started:
- Create a focal point by grouping together pieces in bold, primary colors. Choose furniture that will work well with this palette, such as a large couch or chair in a saturated color flanked by two smaller pieces in neutrals.
- Add coziness with throw pillows on the couch and easy chairs near the fireplace. Layer blankets or quilts on top of couches for extra warmth in colder months.
- Create an island space by positioning a big TV against one wall and pairing it with low tables for snacks or drinks.
Create focal points with art and furniture
When arranging furniture in a rectangular living room, it’s important to create focal points. One way to do this is by using art. If you have pieces of art that reflect different aspects of your lifestyle or personality, be sure to put them near the front of the room so they are easily seen. Additionally, try grouping furniture in ways that echo the shapes and lines in the artwork. For example, place a sofa against one wall and put chairs around it to create an oval shape. Or place a small table in between two chairs to create a triangle. By creating focal points with art and furniture, you’ll be able to create a cohesive living space that reflects your unique personality.
Keep clutter to a minimum by using storage solutions
Keeping your living room clutter-free is a key part of creating a comfortable and inviting space. By arranging furniture in a rectangular shape, you can maximize the available space and reduce the amount of clutter. Here are some tips for arranging furniture in a rectangular living room:
- Start by grouping items into clusters based on function. This will help you determine where each piece of furniture should go. For example, if your furniture consists of a couch, two chairs, and a coffee table, start by placing the couch in the center of the room.
- Once you’ve determined where each piece of furniture should go, start moving them around until everything feels comfortable and looks tidy. Consider using storage solutions to keep things organized, such as shelving or drawers.
How to choose the right furniture in rectangular living room
When arranging furniture in a rectangular living room, it’s important to take into account the layout and dimensions of the room. Here are some tips to help you choose the right furniture:
- Start by considering the focal point of the room. In a rectangular room, this is usually the center piece, such as a fireplace or TV. Choose pieces that will fit well around this focal point.
- Think about how you’ll use the room. Will you mostly sit on the sofa or recline in chairs? What kind of flooring is there? Do you want hardwood or carpet?
- Consider your lifestyle. Are you a stay at home mom who likes to read magazines in peace? Or a working professional who wants plenty of space for walking and organizing files?
- Remember your decorating goals.
It is important to consider how you will use your furniture when arranging it in a rectangular living room. Consider how the furniture will fit into the overall look and feel of the room. Keep in mind that furniture placement should be based on function, not style. Finally, make sure to follow some basic tips for arranging furniture in a rectangular living room to create a cohesive space.